This activity promotes the learning objectives of the “Shoot for 20 Stars Day” by providing the opportunity for children to continue to strive for 20 star lunches. The days do not have to be consecutive and 10 days in not a requirement, but a suggestion.
Utilizing the 10 Day 10 Lunch Activity Worksheet (back side of the NCOAI Placemat) the Initiative Ambassador or teacher can continue the same process of as the “Shoot for 20 Stars” Day. Another option is to have the children write down their food choices on a piece of paper at lunch and then complete the Placemat under the supervision of the teacher. The goal is to have the children become proficient in understanding the star rating system. We recommend that schools post the number of stars daily for each food choice offered during the 10 day activity. The atmosphere in this activity must be one of acceptance of the children’s choices with gentle persuasion to slowly increase the number of stars while still eating foods that they enjoy. If a child reaches 5 stars total on one day and 6 stars on the next day the child should be highly praised.
Upon completing the above steps children should be able to answer the following questions:
- What are the 5 school lunch food categories? The 5 food categories are vegetables, fruits, dairy, grains and protein.
- What is the best choice in each of the 5 school lunch categories? Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best choices with fat free milk or yogurt, whole grain products and baked fish, turkey, chicken and eggs.
- What number of stars would you receive if you eat French Fries? French fries would give me 0 stars.
- What number of stars would you receive if you only eat half of the fruit? I would get only half the number of stars.
- How many stars would you receive if you only half of the vegetable? I would only get half the number of stars.
- How many stars would you receive if you eat chili, white bread, fat free milk and a fruit pop? The total number of stars would be: vegetable in the chili 4 stars; grain in the white bread 0 stars; fat free milk 5 stars; protein (beef) in the chili 2 stars; fruit pop 0 stars. So the total is 11 stars.
- How many stars would you receive if you eat cheese pizza (whole wheat crust), salad, fruit pop and drink non fat milk? The total number of stars would be: vegetable/salad 5 stars, fruit pop 0 stars, grain 5 stars, milk 5 stars. The total number of stars is 15 stars.